Tuesday, July 22

I couldn't enter the site. That was going to be RM440 down the drain. Not to mention a whole decade's worth of nagging.

How could I mistype my mother's name? I tried a gazillion permutations, to no avail. And there was no password retrieval system. Even if I called to ask if there was, what was I supposed to say? I forgot my mother's name? That was to be the joke of year.

My heart fluttered in its cage like a desperate bird, for I was sure the world was ending.

Wait, my helpline.

"I'm going to die." This I repeated to the person on the other end. Frantic. Pulsing. Dying.

"What's going on? Babe, calm down. Tell me."

So I said, "I'm going to die."

When rationality finally took control, I related my predicament, and was rewarded with an unexpected scolding.

The poor guy thought I had cancer or some terminal illness.

It stung, and there was nothing I could do. I went to bed early that night so I could wake up to make the phone call that would determine my fate.

As it turned out, the site only works with IE. I was using Firefox, not only on my comp, but also William's. Bill Gates must really own America.

From this I learned never to lose my head, or risk being bundled in a straight jacket. And also, for anything, anything at all, there is my helpline, who would, with the perfect balance of patience and kindness, knock some sense into me.