Friday, April 25

The latest story about how Singapore's favourite fugitive, Mas Selamat, escaped has been released.

Some "private time" in the toilet cubicle with an ungrilled window? CCTV cameras not yet in commission? And I heard, 7 rolls of toilet paper to cushion his fall? Most people don't have their prayers answered even on their deathbeds. Clearly someone had been praying very hard.

To me, it's a gross error that's almost, well, laughable. Had Mas Selamat been kept locked in any hostel in Singapore, he would have faced a tougher challenge en route to freedom. Take for example the NUS High School Residence, floor 11. Perhaps he could have jumped off the ledge if he sprouted wings. The fire escape method is suicidal. Good luck trying to rig the numerous CCTVs around the main hostel building. ( Though he could have observed the times when the security guard takes his 20 winks or advises an unknowing hostel kid to take the MRT rather than the bus to Orchard.)

Mr Wong, the hostel manager, certainly had all grounds covered and with this I wholeheartedly recommend him as a counter-terrorist expert.

Plus, NUSHSR is located just next to a Catholic church. We really should have more faith in our man- Mas Selamat.

*

I miss home and I can't wait for the holidays. Please come soon.

*

This is my 100th post. So much for blogging being a fling (Joleen, 2006). =)