Thursday, April 3

Once in a while, I come across some unreasonable people who deserve a tight kick in the ass.

Remember SDMm?

As fate would have it, there was a minor skirmish at the Arts canteen today.

It was lunchtime, and as usual the canteen was packed with 70% students, 30% bags and other personal belongings. Fatty and I laboured to get a table, and I left my trademark orange bag on one of the stools. I had cravings for unagi, so I queued at the Japanese foodstall, not ten steps away from our table. Further away was Fatty at the yong tau foo stall.

Just as I was contemplating about my order, I saw three angmohs advancing towards our table. Imagine my horror as they disregarded my behemoth of a bag and plonked their food on MY table. I abandoned the queue and walked up to them, and brought to their attention, in a respectful manner, that the table was mine.

By then, one of the male angmohs had left, perhaps to buy a drink. So the remaining male said, "You may sit here", pointing towards the seat occupied by my bag.

I wasn't prepared to sit on Fatty's lap while having my lunch, so of course I protested, and was promptly countered by the angmoh's jab towards the plastic sign on the table that says "Please do not leave your belongings bla...".

I responded, somewhat feebly, "But that's what everyone does", because it is the norm in NUS. People usually respect and accept that a bag left on a chair means that the table is taken. None of the angmoh predators were carrying any bags, so naturally they couldn't obtain a table that way.

The angmoh just shrugged and proceeded to plonk his butt one of the stools. His female counterpart followed suit.

!!!

An angry, tumultous tsunami swelled inside me. I knew I hadn't a strong case, the "rules" were simply not on my side. Nevertheless, I wasn't going to allow them to occupy my table, thus I moved the third angmoh's tray to the middle, and sat on the last empty stool, so when that third angmoh returned he had to sit elsewhere.

Sorry to spoil the fun, folks. But no one messes with me, especially when I think I am right.